Friday, December 4, 2009

Three months.


Today is Little Mame's three month birthday. Insert cliche here about how time flies but it does. Okay, I will admit at our 20 week ultrasound I was a little disappointed when I found out we were having a girl. I was looking for forward to a little dude to teach to ride bikes and motos, play sports, get his first tattoo. Kidding, wife. Sort of. Now, I wouldn't change it for anything. Never before have I found myself rushing home from work, postponing bike rides or stopping by home in the middle of the day just to see my little Mame.

Last week we went to San Diego for Thanksgiving (pics coming soon). We were nervous about being "those people" with a screaming baby on a plane. She did great. The day we arrived, walking along the beach in LaJolla Scarlett was frantically licking her lips. We're assuming she was getting her first taste of salt from the ocean air. It was the funniest thing ever. Yesterday she scooted herself on her back, along the carpet and right out of her diaper. Holly found her 3' away from where she left her, nude and with a giant smile on her face. My favorite time of day is when Holly is putting Ellie to bed, the house is quiet and I can just hold her and stare at her amazing face. Every day I witness something new.

My only regret is it's looking like she ended up with my ears. Ears of which Prince Charles would be proud. When I was 17 or so my mom and dad coughed up for otoplasty (english = getting your ears tucked). I'll start saving a few bucks and hopefully can do the same for her.

Last night Holly, Lynne and I re-watched a YouTube video about a baby named Elliot born with a congenital heart disease. His parents knew he wouldn't survive long so each day they threw a birthday party for him. He survived 100 days. We all cried - again. (See Holly's post below about Scarlett's immunizations. Yes, we are saps.) As Scarlett's 100 days approaches, I realize we were in such a fog the first few weeks that we didn't completely understand how dangerous and life-threatening it was when Holly's placenta ruptured. On a shuttle bus in San Diego we met a couple and they told us a story about their son, a high risk OB doc, that had recently lost both mother and baby in a similar situation. I'm a week post-Thanksgiving but for all this we give thanks. Robert

2 comments:

  1. This was a really fantastic post Robert. You need to print this out and save it in a journal for Scarlett to read when she gets older. She is BEAUTIFUL and I can't wait to meet this miracle baby in real life. For now, give her a hug from all of us.

    Miss you all,

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. DItto to what Mike says. You can get your whole blog printed up and bound into a book at some point. if you want into on that, just ask. we are about to do it as we have over 2 years of ourlife on blogroll. i loved your comments and love to see the change that comes over all (or almost all) human beings after having their own child...it's amazing and your heart breaks so easily. The arguments, fights (mostly in my head) that I have with other parents whose kids treat mine poorly, who misunderstand--it leads me to know that I need to go to counseling to know how to let go a bit and let my kids work out their issues/arguments with their friends. It's tough when they get older. I miss like mad the days of tiny babies who smile and squeeze your finger and who hold you at the center of their universe. It's tempting me like nothing else to have another baby, which for me, comes very easy. thanks for sharing. it's a treat to get to know you via your blog. thanks for making it and speaking from the heart. :)

    ReplyDelete