Monday, January 9, 2012

Christmas In Limbo









Sooooooo this year we kept our Christmas expectations low because we are kind of in limbo but were pleasantly surprised that it turned out to be a great day, week, birthday and New Year. We had Christmas a few days early this year because Ellie was leaving for a 10 day visit to see her Dad and we wanted her to be included in our festivities. We decided not to unpack all our Xmas stuff because we will be moving into our new house in January so besides stockings and the tiny white tree with purple and pink ornaments that the girls picked out we didn't do much in the decorations department. I didn't really bother me as much as I thought it would even though it didn't feel a ton like Christmas. We stuck to most of our traditions and enjoyed being together in a new place and climate. Robert even indulged me, put on a tie and went to church with me.

Driving Ellie to the airport and putting her on a plane alone to fly to SLC almost did me in but I had a great birthday weekend planned by my husband to look forward to so I made it through. Robert surprised me with 2 nights at the W Hotel downtown and a spa day in between. As most of you know he is an amazing gift giver. It was great even with little Miss Scarlett in tow. The hotel is awesome and just hanging out with no agenda was delightful and the perfect way to spend my 28th birthday. Didn't miss the rental house while laying in bed watching The Christmas Story while eating warm chocolate chip cookies and milk that the hotel brings to your room just for staying there.

To top off our holidays, my great friend, Becky came to celebrate New Years in style which really means exploring and dinner downtown in the 70 degree weather and them home by 10:30 to watch the ball drop. I love a friend who likes to lay around almost as much as me. Of course she was on vacation so had a good excuse. It was so nice to spend time with a friend, go to movies and just hang out. I miss that here in Austin at least for now. Scarlett was so sad to see Becky leave that she packed all her clothes into "Becks" suitcase and tried to go home with her.

I want to relate one last thing because it reinforced to me what makes the season so great (family) and life worth living (family). Scarlett was able to go with me to the gate to pick Ellie up from the airport. She was walking down the terminal yelling "EE come, EE come" so when we got to the top of the gangplank she could barely contain herself. It was almost like a movie.... Scarlett saw Ellie and the stewardess at the bottom of the walkway and she put her arms in the air, ran through the ropes that block people from going down and ran down the walkway as fast as she could saying "Yeah EE". Ellie knelt down and Scarlett ran into her arms and they fell on the ground hugging and kissing. It was the cutest happiest thing I have ever seen. The stewardess was tearing up watching it and said that it was the greatest welcome home she had ever seen. I love my girls so much and I love seeing the love they have for each other. I feel very blessed to have my little family and good friends no matter where we I am.

1 comment:

  1. That is a really sweet story- it's wonderful how close your girls are. How is the move going? Thinking of you a lot!!!

    ReplyDelete