As I sit and play with my kids I can't even fathom telling them goodbye or trying to explain why I have to leave them forever or wondering if they will remember me or have a good life. I can't imagine not being able to comfort them when they are sad or help them when they are troubled. I am so sad for his daughter Sarah who I know well and really love. She is a bright, creative, kind, a bit odd, spiritual girl who adores her dad and now she will never see him again in this life.
I am grateful for my belief in the after life and wonder how hard it would be for people to lose a loved one with no beliefs about life and death and God. Life is unfair and unexplainable sometimes but I believe we will understand how and why someday.
I was so impressed with the positive outlook Ben had that I want to quote from his obituary in which they had put one of his last journal entries.
"I now begin to move sooner than I would like toward the end of this journey but to the beginning of what will surely be an exciting new journey without the pain and stress of the past few months. I shall very much miss my family and friends and hope I will be allowed an occasional "hall pass" to observe from afar the significant future events in the lives of my family."
It is hard to see a young, righteous, dedicated father and husband die but it does help put things in perspective and has made me more grateful for my health and the time I have on this earth with my family which I hope is going to be for much longer.
Goodbye Ben, you will be missed.
This is really sad, but very touching. I hope that their family can feel comfort and healing through their faith and that they will be strengthened during this hard time.
ReplyDeleteThis was a good reminder and it made me feel even more grateful for a healthy family. Thanks for the perspective.
We'll keep them in our thoughts and prayers, and you guys too.